Monday, May 4, 2009

Buttons as a Basing Material

My wife is one of the most talented people I know. Amongst many other things, she can knit to a very high standard. As a result, she has her own "bitz box". Unlike my own bitz box, it doesn't contain extra plasma pistols that weren't glued on / used, or cast-off spare arms of space marines. Instead, it contains a wealth of (seemingly) random items ranging from threads, to curled knitting needles, and buttons.

The buttons in her bitz box caught my eye the other day. I started to look through some of them and found quite a number that would be suitible for use with 28mm scale miniatures. Then it hit me - they'd make a great basing material to use alongside other materials. Have a look at the picture below.I'm starting to get inspired by what I see. Some of the buttons are already broken and I've been looking at them thinking "urban rubble". Others have some remarkably good looking textures on them - check out the marble-like effect on the blue-white one - those ridges of white stick out above the main part of the button (but by little more than 1mm). There are also other interesting textures in there that might make for discarded (medieval) shields. At worst, some of the larger ones could be used to raise miniatures up by a few millimetres. A new wealth of inspiration has opened up for me!

1 comment:

Akenseth said...

Thats an awesome idea. I'm going to have to give this a try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries