Monday, February 20, 2012

Making a Necron Scenery Piece

Inspired by a combination of themed boards that I've played on and Dawn of War flavour scenery, I decided to attempt constructing my own necron-flavoured scenery.  For this project, I have used a block of balsa wood, coupled with a hobby knife and a circular file.  All of these are available through regular hobby outlets or even a broad-based hardware store.

The construction is straight-forward: I marked out several lines on the block of balsa wood.  Since the wood is very easily indented, I wanted to be sure that I had the angles right before I started cutting.  With the lines in place, I simply chopped away a "v"-shaped groove using the hobby knife along the lines, before using the circular file to cut deeper and make a smooth indentation. 

That said, for balsa wood, the grains are easier in some directions compared to others.  This can be seen in the image, where the lines on one face of the block look aesthetically much better than on the other face.  A fully painted image of this block in blacks and greens will be forthcoming...

2 comments:

Spifferson said...

Looks good so far. Painting it up will take a little extra work to hide the wood grain in the finished project. Although from a couple feet away it may not be noticeable.

jabberjabber said...

Yes -- I'm discovering that the wood grain is very hard to disguise (in general). That said, it does look good from a small distance. More later in the week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries