Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Horus Heresy Review: Achilles-Alpha Pattern Land Raider

There are many similarities with this unit to the Achilles Land Raider that shares its name.

It has a transport capacity, it is what you'd expect from a land raider with AV14 all around, and so forth.

On the front, it is a little bit different, mounting a quad mortar, and it also exhibits volkite culverins on its side sponsons (twin linked).

The main draw back here, in my opinion, is that we can only take a single Achilles-Alpha for the unit composition. For the land raiders, recall that we can take 1-3 in a single unit to make up a full squadron.

I'm not entirely sold on the loss of the meltas either - the quad mortar will certainly be nice against horde armies (Orks, Tyranids, etc.), but against mechanised space marines of the Heresy era, I'd much sooner have the meltas.

The only major benefit here is the ability to re-roll dangerous terrain checks and the enhanced ferromagnetic rites that have been applied.

Overall, I'm therefore not that sold on this unit. I think I'd prefer to run a regular land raider squadron and take the base line Achilles. But that's just my opinion. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries