Sunday, October 26, 2008

Resin Basing

The idea that the bases of miniatures need work as well as the miniature itself has been an evolving idea over the past couple of decades. Many older articles in the trade magazines (e.g. White Dwarf) and various codex portray miniatures on the bases that are covered only with a green paint, or a small amount of sand, or small amounts of scatter. Some different articles (e.g. The Lost and the Damned) hide the bases under a copious layer of scatter so as they're not visible at all!

The modern base can be anything from these small beginnings to very complex affairs containing almost as much detail, if not more detail than the miniature that stands on top of them. If used wisely a base can really set off a miniature in a splendid light. At worst, they can detract from a beautiful paint job or dominate the entire model.

At GenconOz2008, I picked up a number of back-2-base-ix resin bases to try out (pictured is a 60mm base from back-2-base-ix). These are bases that are sold at the same physical size of citadel miniature bases, but come with pre-sculpted scenery on them in a hard resin (similar to Forge World). As with Forge World, they require some small amount of trimming (etc.) and a wash in soapy water before use. Since they're not flat, I tend to pin many of my models to these bases -- but that is no different to any normal base that I make more fancy myself (see the newer bloodletter next to the older one in Bloodletters of Khorne in the 1980's for an example of a back-2-base-ix base with a bloodletter on top). They're also supplied un-painted which means a little more time on the paint job is required. I prefer to try to paint them as a separate entity to the minature that will occupy them and then glue the miniature to the base as a last step.

I like the amount of detail that these bases come with. The only detraction, if I can even call it that, is the thought that "I could do this myself!". Having said that: it saves me the time and effort! Moreover, I can always add small amounts of flock and scatter (or even add a few new lines of sculpting with my own hobby knife) to finish these bases off and make them look more unique. They really are a time-saver and they look as good, if not better, than what I can produce.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries