Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mighty Empires Painting: Mountains

With Planetary Empires on the horizon, I thought I'd post a little article on Mighty Empires - the fantasy equivalent. Mighty Empires comes with 48 distinct tiles, many of which are reversible (i.e. they have something different on both sides). The only tile that doesn't have a flip side are the mountains - simply because they understandably stick out over the top of the connector boarders more than any other piece.Mighty Empires has been sat around for quite some time in my collection (edit: I even remember the first edition of this accessory!) - it doubles up as a unique board for games of "Risk"! Here, I've pictured the set of mountains that it was supplied with.

I've undercoated these tiles in black and then proceeded to drybrush the mountains steadily whiter in colour tones. Some of the peaks of the mountains are almost in pure skull white. Meanwhile for the valleys, I've experimented with a number of different shades of green and inking plus drybrushing techniques. If you look closely, you'll see that the greens connect up with the mountains very well with some tiles, but on others, there's more of a pronounced gap in the foliage covering. I'll post some other tiles that I've painted up at later dates. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they can connect up with the more urban feeling that I'm sure Planetary Empires will have.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The mountains look great the painting technique worked well.
I keep thinking up different scenarios and how you could tie them in nicely with Planetary Empires map/tiles, i'm looking forward to it.

jabberjabber said...

Thanks mate! Not long now til we can get our hands on planetary empires :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries