Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Experimental Chaos Space Marine Kill Team List

Next weekend, I will be playing a small kill team game (but probably without any special universal rules). I've been trying to give some thought to what should go in to my list. Whilst I know that a decked-out squad of plain chaos space marines might be a good way to go, I wanted to try out something else. Here's a list that I came up with.

3 Chaos Terminators, including 1 combi-melta.
5 Khorne Berzerkers.

Total Points Value = 200 on the dot.

The model count is reasonable compared to many power armoured lists for kill team that I've seen. It lacks devastating high strength fire power such as plasma guns, yes. But what it has is a bucket load of attacks from the khorne berzerkers who should be able to weather a few incoming shots so that they can actually charge in to melee. And the terminators should cause problems with their high armour save, power weapons and (singular) melta gun! Moreover, the re-rolls on the twin-linked bolt guns should also give pause for thought -- they're going to be hitting their targets more often than not. My only concern is that my friend has been winding me up (or bluffing completely) about facing a squad of thunder hammer and storm shield terminators from the other side of the board (but I don't know that for sure!). So my plan is to team up my berzerkers with a terminator friend and attack in unison to ensure that enough wounds get caused before a thunder hammer lets rip.

5 comments:

John Lambshead said...

Having played a couple of kill team games, I would comment that just four casualties will start triggering morale checks. You start with high morale but it will erode, turn by turn.
John

jabberjabber said...

Hi John,

True, morale is a concern. A big concern.

The way I'm thinking about it is this: even if I had a kitted-out 10 man marine squad, 5 casualties is not much greater than 4. I'm hoping terminators in the front line will help slow the casualties down and the extra attacks and furious charge from the khorne berzerkers are worth the lower model count.

Anonymous said...

Terminators have the classic "dies to shooting" problem. At my FLGS' kill team tourney, the winning list (and the #2 placed list) was 7 lootas and 8 shoota boyz (or something very much like that).
You take so much dakka every turn, eventually you fail a save; and since they're spread out you can't get good charges, and since the lootas stay in cover your TL bolter will kill just less than one Loota.

I'd drop the termies for more zerks, a fist, and a plasma pistol; you can hand out Fleet and Feel No Pain to give yourself a little more gumption. Good luck!

jabberjabber said...

Thanks Tachikoma -- I agree with your assessment about the dies to shooting issue. I've certainly heard about orks and tyranids doing very well in kill team. Ah well, I'll see how it goes!

jabberjabber said...

Addendum: I faced 5 thunder hammer and storm shield terminators. I lost. Although it was close. There were 2 terminators left in the end and they rolled awesomely well for their saving throws turn after turn.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries