Friday, October 28, 2011

40k Movement / Coherency Trays

A new product from Back2Basix: 40k coherency trays.  The idea behind them is simple enough: not only do these trays help with moving large numbers of ground troops in a quick and simple manner (especially if you're a tyranid horde player for instance), but they also spread out your troops to a maximum coherency.  The obvious reason to do this is to minimize damage from incoming template and blast weaponry.  But if the infantry need to leave the tray to get inside a building, they can also do that readily as well.  Different trays are available (5, 10 or individual models) which makes for maximum flexibility. Hence if a fixed formation doesn't appeal, an equal number of individual trays would be perfect.

Is this a legal play aid?  Well, I can't see any direct rules against them (unless I'm missing something), and they'll help speed up the movement phase for horde players.  I don't think I'd be bothered to play against such innovations, as it is what good players aim (and mostly succeed) to do anyway.  And moreover, the trays can readily be painted up to the same quality as fantasy movement tray analogues which would probably look great.  I'm tempted to get a few and see what they're like to play with.

4 comments:

TJ Atwell said...

At Adepticon, an Ork player had a horde army with about 180 orks on the table and had them on home made 5-man, flocked and painted movement trays. This allowed his horde to play at the speed of a more traditional army, as it really sped up his portion of the movement phase while allowing his big units to maintain 2" and avoid being templated to death, so I can see how these trays could be very helpful.
I think you will see a rise of sales in these kind of products soon, especially with one of the biggest complaints from the Indy tourney circuit being "slow play"
Great find, I inherited an ork army and may look at these as an alternative to making my own.

Cawshis Clay said...

Great idea. I wonder how they would work on a terrain heavy table though? From the little bit of fantasy I've seen, moving around on the trays is relatively easy since there are wide gaps between terrain.

But on 40k boards I've played on, space is a premium sometimes and moving those trays into and between tight spaces seems like it'd be a PITA.

Dan Eldredge said...

Very interesting idea. When I read the title of the post I thought the idea was insane, but keeping it down to 5-man groups or so is brilliant.

jabberjabber said...

Looking forward to hearing reports on how these play accessories work out. As OldSchool says, its got to be slightly better than working out how to get 180 Orks on the march...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries