Friday, September 21, 2012

Dark Apotheosis in the new Chaos Space Marine Codex


In an echo of the old "eye of god"from Realms of Chaos / rewards of chaos chart, the aspiring chaos champion in the chaos space marine codex now stands a 1 in 18 chance of becoming a daemon prince during the course of a game -- every time he defeats an opponent's leader in a challenge.  This dark apotheosis is balanced by there being a similar probability of becoming a chaos spawn!

Equally, there are various things in the new codex that would seem to grant a re-roll on this table if the first result is not desirable (e.g. new warlord traits).  A re-roll means the chance of daemonhood becomes 1 in 9 -- this is the kind of resultant probability that may plausibly happen once every few games.  I'm very excited by this new interpretation of the chaos rewards table!  

It also reminds me strongly of the old Realms of Chaos narrative campaigns. These kinds of random upgrades and bonuses are good (in my opinion) and bring a new dimension of risk taking for the chaos general back in to the game.  Opimization of this chart (and others) contained within the new codex will take some digestion to figure out.  Coupled with the cool new miniatures heading our way, its a good era (suddenly) to be a chaos general once more!

6 comments:

Occupy Terra said...

I'm really excited to see the full book, I can hardly wait the 2 weeks! The fluff side of me wants to play my list without a Daemon Prince until I manage to hit Dark Apotheosis on the table!

I will say it seems like it should take more than one kill to get you to daemonhood. I mean, in Dawn of War 2 when there is a daemon prince ascending, he sacrifices like an entire planet to get his reward. But I get the difference between out of game fluff and reflecting fluff concepts in game.

David Padwick said...

Even though I am not a chaos player, I am keen to see what warp based horrors my csm playing friend will be unleashing on us soon! I used to play csm and have always had a soft if slightly twisted spot for them. I just hope my eldar are in line for a new book soon!

David Padwick said...

Even though I am not a chaos player, I am keen to see what warp based horrors my csm playing friend will be unleashing on us soon! I used to play csm and have always had a soft if slightly twisted spot for them. I just hope my eldar are in line for a new book soon!

Masked Thespian said...

@Ian; it is entirely possible that the single kill is the final one in a decades-long plan required to actually attain Daemonhood. Whilst it's the first one in THIS game, it doesn't mean it's the first one EVER for that character.

Occupy Terra said...

Of course, but any number of hand to hand kills seems to pale in comparison to say, virus bombing an entire planet, which isn't necessarily sufficient to attain daemonhood. I'm just saying its an epic reward, generally I associate it with apocalyptic acts.

jabberjabber said...

Don't forget that the gods are also fickle and capricious. They might just "like" the one thing that the aspiring champion did and grant them daemonhood on the spot for wiggling their fingers in a certain way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries