Tuesday, November 20, 2012

CSM in 6th Review: Maulerfiend

The maulerfiend is the second new entry in the Heavy Support category of the new chaos codex and retail-wise comes bundled with the forgefiend as a possible alternate build.

When I first read the rules to this one, I was confused.  The main reason for my confusion is that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with this guy.  Well, that's not entirely true.  I figure I'm meant to throw it at fortifications - that's what the +1 armour penetration against buildings (siegecrawler) does for us.  But what fortifications?  Am I seriously going to buy this option to counter an imperial bastion?  Nope.  That's what I've got melta guns, power fists, and a slew of other devices and chaos daemon allies besides for.  So, I'm guessing that there is going to be some new fortifications released during 6th edition that these guys are going to be the answer to.  Perhaps I should be buying three of these?  Nah. 

But let's take a closer look.  The maulerfiend is a walker with two power fists and 2 attacks.  That will result in 4 attacks on the charge.  That's not really all that powerful since a pair of terminators can manage that. Heck, even the dreadnought ... ahem ... helbrute can copy that manoeuvre.  The twist is the magma cutters.  If the maulerfiend scores a hit, then the magma cutters make an additional S8, AP1, armourbane attack as well.  Bye bye defences in all likelihood.  And certainly capable of taking tanks out in a single charge short of a land raider. 

Siegecrawler means that the maulerfiend is always moving 12" in the movement phase and fleet plus move through cover make the threat range even greater.  As with the forgefiend, it gets daemonic possession, daemon and "IT WILL NOT DIE" special rules to make it stick around longer.  Additionally, this guy gets the daemonforge special rule which means it can re-roll penetrate / to wound rolls once per game.  Use at the first opportunity I say!  (unless you really hate the imperial bastion over there as much as Angron might).

The only option is to replace the magma cutters with lasher tendrils (125 points vs 135 points, respectively).  These tendrils will reduce the attacks of those in base to base contact with the maulerfiend by 1 for each set.  To a minimum of 1.  This can be potent against high volume attack infantry (orks on bikes, terminators and the like), but ultimately isn't going to be stopping a thunder hammer from striking it.  Might as well keep the magma cutters for the potential extra attacks in my opinion and not bother with the lasher tendrils.  Instead, rely on the maulerfiends inbuilt toughness to see off any incoming attacks.  So, for me, I'd be taking the 125 points set up with the magma cutters and charge forwards. 

But then again, I'd be thinking about alternatives to the maulerfiend in the first place unless some new codexes and campaign expansions include terrifying fortifications.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Maulerfiend is better than I initially gave it credit for. It's still AV12, so krak grenades and S6 power fists with still glance it, but it has the most important thing an assault unit needs: speed. It blows away any other walker that poses as an assault unit, because it can actually get there in time. The only better walker for melee is the Furioso, and that's because it gets AV13 to ignore S6 (mobility through Stormravens/Wings).

Dan said...

I'd be a lot more inclined to take one if it was a fast attack (or even elite in place of the Mutilators). As it is there is a lot of competition in the heavy slots. I may still try one at some point when I go for a more assaulty army - however that point is a few years off I think.

Anonymous said...

I wouldnt' take them at all if they were Fast; bikes, Helldrakes and Spawn are too good. I agree that they should be Elites, though. Then you'd definitely have a good reason for taking them; that slot is filled with finesse choices.

Dan said...

Yeah, I like them best as Elites as well.

Anonymous said...

I woudn't take them over Mutilators, though. I think I'm part of that 5% of people that like Mutilators.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries