Friday, March 14, 2014

Cratered Martian Gaming Table

My last post reviewing the out of production GW publication "How to make wargames terrain" reminded me about my (now well used and well travelled) cratered gaming table. I created in many moons ago - readers can trace the story via these links: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I realised that I hadn't updated this chain in a while.  The board has been complete for a very long time now and has seen a lot of play (e.g.: a, b, c, d).

But over time, the board has suffered a bit of damage. The picture below shows a recent picture, if you look closely you can see the wear and tear on it.

The wear is mostly one thing: chips out of the plaster that I used to create it. This can be seen wherever you see any "white" poking through from the red surface. Several knocks during transportation and scratches from children and miniatures can't really be helped. But what I could have done in the first place is include paint in the plaster itself to render it red. Sadly I didn't do that and instead it was white and painted over. I will have to do some (minor) touch up painting work to rectify it, but had I have used red paint mixed in with the plaster, this could have been avoided. Lesson learnt!

The other aspect is that the board is slightly warped(!) Check out the outline of the picture - it is raised by about 1 cm above the carpet on which I pictured it at the bottom end (as viewed). I'm not entirely sure how correct this one: probably weigh it down with lots of old codexes and leave it applied for a while? Suggestions welcome!

2 comments:

Anton said...

to prevent the warping you could always baton the edge, would add some weight but certainly stop the problem.

jabberjabber said...

that's true! Cheers Anton!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries