Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Reflecting on Running Tokens and similar...

As the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 looks likely to be imminent with the withdrawal of the 6th edition rulebook, I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on some of the lesser used aspects of that and earlier editions.

In particular, I wanted to bring up the subject of the "running" tokens (pictured). I bought a set of these (along with objective markers) for use in games, but in all honesty, they haven't seen the light of day, or much play. 

Reflecting on this, I think the reason is obvious enough: its simple to remember which units have run in a game. Its very rare that myself or an opponent forgets between us which have run or not. Hence this is one purchase that I don't really use. 

That said, the objective markers from this set, and those from 6th edition (you know - the ones that are essentially die) are ones that frequently get used -- in the absence of modelled objective markers (like the dying space marines sold by Games Workshop, or the ammo crate dumps created by many players). Hence when the new edition comes out, I will be looking very closely at what accessories it comes along with and thinking carefully about purchases. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries