Friday, July 18, 2014

Ingress

Slightly off topic today -- a new game has been released via the app store in the past day called INGRESS.

To be clear, this is not a table top game, its a roaming augmented reality game, with google maps overlap.  And it is now available on iPhone (as well as Android for a long time). The basic idea is that you roam around hunting out unique locations (known as portals) and hack them to "own" them in your team's colours (currently blue or green).

As well as keeping players fit by wandering around, it is a social game. But clearly, wandering around gazing at one's smart phone is less than smart, so be aware of your surroundings, both people and cars (etc.)! 

I've started playing as of this evening and found it very easy to get in to. But: it is also great to explore new locations (even locally) with that you've never come across before. After hacking a few portals and owning them, I deployed some resonators around them (to generate more power and make it slightly harder for the opposing team to grab them). I got to level 2, but I've got a long way to go yet before I get some more interesting items in my inventory and start to make maps like this.

For those who want to know, I joined the BLUE team :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries